Today I went to work and the kids went to daycare. On these days I drop them off at 6:30am and work next door at the hospital until my shift ends at 7:15pm. I was having a busy day at work and was about to get a new admit from the ER when I got this frantic call: "Penni? This is C. from [their daycare] and Preston hit his head and we need you to come right now!" I could hear the anxiety in her voice and my anxiety level started to rise as I'm imagining an unconscious child or an ambulance taking him away or a massive amount of blood loss...so I say, "How bad is it?" She says, "Well, he was running around playing and he slipped and fell and hit his forehead on the corner of a shelf...I've got him right now with an ice pack on his forehead. It's pretty bad." So I say, "Ok, I'm on my way!" I quickly handed over my patient assignment to the charge nurse and booked it over there! When I walked in, Preston was sitting in C.'s lap totally calm and alert with an ice pack on his head. My first thought is that, oh, maybe they just overreacted? He sees me and says, "Hi, Mommy! Preston fell and hit his head. Preston got an owie! Preston got a BIG owie!"...and he's seriously jabbering away. Ms. C. takes off the ice pack and reveals a really deep gash in his head...but it wasn't bleeding out or anything. I took one look and I'm like, oh yeah, that's gonna need some stitches. :( I called David up and he wanted to meet us at the ER at my hospital right there. It was like 4pm and I was thinking we would be there for hours. It actually didn't take too long from start to finish and Preston did so well! He ended up having to get 4 STAPLES to his head. :( He couldn't get his cut glued because it was in his hairline. Poor buddy. I took some pictures with my phone...but you really can't even see how bad it was. I am still amazed at what a trooper Preston was!!


I forgot to take "after" pictures with the staples. I think David took one with his phone. I'll have to update and put that one on here later.
No comments:
Post a Comment