Monday, June 23, 2008

Tribute to Oliver

Well, I figured that once Preston is here he will be taking up most of the blog postings, so I wanted to post something about our pets. We have 2 cats, Chloe and Oliver, and 1 dog, Abby. We didn't mean to have this many animals...it just happened. :) We will probably be one of those households that have a zoo of animals b/c one of our kids or David will just have to have some sort of animal or rescue some poor stray.

In this posting I will write about our first pet, Oliver...

Originally we decided to adopt one cat to sort of keep David company when I had to work nights at the hospital for a while and David was still on a day schedule with work and school. At that time we lived in a one bedroom apartment and thought a cat would be perfect. So we went to the local PETCO and started looking at the cats they had there on display to be adopted through the Humane Society. One day we saw this sweet orange and white tabby-mix with an orange "mustache" who they already had named, Oliver. His description said he was about 8 months old and was found abandoned with his mom, brothers, and sisters hiding under a house. We asked to hold him to see if he might be "the one" if he seemed friendly enough. We took him out of the cage and immediately he began purring and was calm and even let us hold him without any struggle and rubbed his head against us as if to say "take me home!". We held him a while longer and then decided he was the one to go home with us. We bought a pet carrier and went and made some preparations at home.

When we went to pick him up to take him home we were taking the missionaries to a meeting at that time. When we put Oliver in the pet carrier in the car he was nervous and began meowing in fear. David had the bright idea that Oliver would calm down and be happier if I held him instead of leaving him in the pet carrier. BIG MISTAKE. His little claws found a home in my skin and I had to hold him tight to keep him from climbing all over the car in an attempt to escape. The 2 missionaries sitting in the back looked nervous...I don't think they were very fond of cats! Well, I managed to get him back in the carrier and we just lived with his nervous meowing the rest of the way home.

Once we got Oliver home he explored the entire apartment and settled in. He would follow us around the apartment and even slept next to my head when I took a nap. We have now had him since the fall of 2005. Since then he has undergone 2 surgeries...we had him "fixed" in the beginning of 2006 and also his front claws removed in 2007 after surveying the carpet and furniture damage in our apartment while we were looking to buy our first house and new furniture. He is an indoor only cat and is still very loving and affectionate!!






1 comment:

Sam said...

What a cute kitty! Glad you have decided to blog, it is really fun. This is Sam from nursing school by the way. Can't believe the baby will be here so soon! Yeah for ya'll!