Friday, August 14, 2009

The Cat's Out of the Bag!

Yesterday at work I got report on my assigned patients from the night shift nurses and realized that there was a problem...
You see, one of the patients I was to care for was just started on Cytoxan (a chemotherapy drug) the day before. We actually don't usually give many chemo drugs in CVICU because many times they are too sick at that time to receive the therapy. Anyway, the reason why that is a problem is because...
I am pregnant!!!
It is definitely contraindicated for women who are pregnant or even breastfeeding (which I stopped doing on the last day of June) to handle, administer, or care for patients taking the med.
I wasn't quite ready to tell everyone, but I figured since I had to tell a few people at work that I might as well tell all because word gets around and frankly, it's exciting news!
I tried to think of some cute and creative ways to announce the news like so many of my friends have done such as making Preston a "I'm Going to be a Big Brother" t-shirt or e-mailing/mailing a sonogram picture...but I am really not that creative and my OB usually doesn't do sonograms until around the 20th week.
It is still early. I am about 7 weeks pregnant. Having experienced a miscarriage before Preston I have only told family and like 2 friends so far and was waiting to tell everyone until after 8 weeks or so...but it's close enough. :) The funny thing is I actually found out I was pregnant on Preston's birthday (July 22nd)!
My estimated due date is April 3rd! So far I have actually been feeling mostly ok...just tired (of course) and some serious waves of nausea at what seems like random times. I can already tell I am developing a little belly a whole lot faster than with Preston-ahh! I already had my first appointment with my OB's nurse and had all the lab work drawn and updated my history and info. I have my first appointment with my OB on August 19th!
So we are excited and nervous at the same time. Preston and the baby will only be 20 months apart!

13 comments:

Shana said...

oh that's so exciting!!

and finding out on his b-day, how funny!!

Congratulations!!

Regina said...

Oh my gosh!!!! How exciting!! Congrats yall!! I can't believe you JUST finished breastfeeding and are already preggo!! Same thing happened to my good friend. By the time it's all said and done she will have not had a period for almost 4 years!! You too probably! Who is your OBGYN?

Penni said...

I wish I could go that long without a period! I got mine again in April once Preston was only breastfeeding like once or twice a day. But I guess only having a period for 3 months during at least 2 1/2 years isn't bad. Of course there's the after giving birth time (eck). :)My OB is Dr. Cane. He's in N. Arlington and only delivers at AMH. I went to him bc a couple of my coworkers really liked him and he took good care of me with Preston!

Caitlin said...

CONGRATS!! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see pics and updates as you go along.

Lynette said...

Congrats on the good news! Branden and Whitney are 22 months apart. It will get a little crazy for awhile but hopefully they will be close. I love,love, love Dr. Cane. He delivered Laura and let me have an epidural early because he was leaving AMH and going to the clinic. He told the nurse to call him when I was at a 7 and lets just say he almost didn't make it! Which at the time was fine because I was feeling no pain. He is an awesome DR and really cares about his patients!

Mrs. Casey Helms said...

Yay! I am so happy for you! Congrats!

Melinda said...

How exciting! Congratulations! We are so happy for ya'll!

Amy J said...

I knew you couldn't resist telling people! ; ) But now I will publicly say how excited I am to have a new niece or nephew! The baby will be my 10th niece or nephew...

Missy said...

Congrats, Penni! That is so exciting!

Clint.Nicole.Ryann.and James said...

congrats!

The Esquivel Family said...

That is so exciting...congratulations!

Kimbo said...

Oh my goodness what exciting news!!! Congrats. Preston will be so excited to have a little buddy to play with. I can't wait to find out what you're having. I hope the pregnancy keeps going well :)

Stevie said...

I know this is late, but I've been out of town and a bad blogger! Congratulations! I hope it's a girl. =)