Well, finally, I am taking some time to blog about the arrival of our newest baby boy. :) I posted a ton of stuff and some pictures on Facebook, so I've kind of neglected the blog. Anyway...
Introducing the newest addition to our family...
Aedan John Cox! :)
(FYI I left out the bloody naked baby pictures bc not everyone wants to see that...and I actually have some better pictures on my iPhone...but they are on Facebook...so I wanted to use these)





Here is the birth story...
The last 2 weeks of pregnancy I was having contractions like crazy, but none of it was progressing my labor at all. I wasn't even dilated...just nothin! Anyway, so the day of my scheduled c-section arrived (4/2) and David and I got to the hospital at about 11am and went to labor and delivery triage where they got me ready. I changed into a lovely hospital gown, they hooked me up to a fetal monitor, started an IV, etc, etc. Funny thing is I got the same nurse I had with Preston for my prep and recovery time. It was actually great because she remembered me and helped me talk to my OB about giving me something different for pain control in recovery since Morphine doesn't work for me. This time I got Demerol and a one time dose of Toradol. Made all the difference in the world! My OB came to see me about 12 noon and asked if I was feeling the contractions. I was feeling some...but not all of them. I was just used to having tons of contractions. Anyway, my doc checks me (thinking I could be in labor) but I am still not dilated or anything. So the c-section is officially on! The anesthesiologist came in to see me next and went over everything. According to David, when I had my c-section with Preston apparently I got really anxious (well, yeah!) and I do remember getting something to "calm me down". So David brought that to the attention of this doc and he mixed some Fentanyl in my IV solution before we even got started...and ya know, it really helped. Anyway, the anesthesiologist had to go start an epidural and then he would be back to do my case. Things were a little delayed, but we finally went back to the OR at about 1pm. This time the anesthesiologist had me sit on the side of the OR table hunched over and my nurse stood in front of me while he administered the spinal. This spinal was definately more uncomfortable than I remember with the first c-section. Or maybe I was expecting it to be so painful the first time that I hyped myself up and then it didn't seem as bad. But whatever...once it was done (in like a minute) I was quickly getting numb and it was all good. They helped me lay down on the table and then they continued prepping and put in the foley catheter and put the drape in front of my face to keep the field sterile. This time the anesthesiologist put in a nasal canula (clear tubing that goes into your nostrils to give me some oxygen) instead of a face mask that I had with Preston. I liked the canula better. David was then able to enter the OR and he was doing a great job to make sure I felt calm. :) Then apparently my blood pressure dropped to the 80's and so I got a dose of Neosynephrine and also my heartrate dropped to the 30's (!!!) for probably a minute or less. When that happened I felt really dizzy and it was not cool. My heart rate usually runs 50-60's. Ok, but that was over and the surgery got started. I just remember waiting for what seemed like a long while, but was probably only 10-15 minutes and then I felt a lot of pressure as they were pressing on me and getting the baby out...and then I heard the sweet sounds of Aedan crying!! I immediately felt a wave of emotion and had some tears well up and just had this overwhelming feeling of happiness. :) My OB's first words were..."Oh, Penni, I think he looks like you!" followed by, "What a chunk!". I got to see him for a few seconds and then they took him to the warmer to wipe him down, David cut the cord, and they got his weight and height, and then wrapped him up. Aedan was officially born on 4/2/10 at 1:26pm and was 7 lbs 14 ozs and 20 1/2 inches long with dark brown hair--and lots of it in the back. I was surprised! He was almost an entire pound heavier than Preston and 2 inches longer. David got to hold him and brought him over to me and we were just waiting for the team to finish sewing me up. Finally they were done and they transfered me over to a stretcher and they finally placed Aedan in my arms for the first time and wheeled us over to the recovery room. And again I tell you this recovery experience was soo much better than with Preston! I wasn't all drugged up on Morphine, but my pain was under control with the Demerol and Toradol and this spinal actually took longer to wear off thanks to a good dosing from the anesthesiologist. It was nice to not be all out of it!
Anyway, it was just David and I in the recovery room which actually turned out to be very nice and we got to spend at least an hour--probably longer--with Aedan before they took him to the nursery for his first in depth assessment and official bath. I was able to nurse him pretty much right away and he's done really well with breastfeeding so far! So I went in on Good Friday and had Aedan and we were able to leave the hospital by Sunday afternoon! That's fast for a c-section. I was ready to get out of there! Preston met Aedan for the first time on that Friday afternoon and was kinda unsure and sort of confused about me being in the hospital. He didn't really seem interested in Aedan and wanted to sit with me in the hospital bed. David's mom and grandma stayed with Preston at our house while we were in the hospital and that was so great of them! By the time we got home Sunday we were both missing Preston pretty bad, but had to give him time to warm up to all the change. By Monday morning Preston was smiling and pointing to Aedan and saying, "Baby!" and he even gave him kisses--it was so sweet! :) Preston is doing better than I thought with a new baby brother, but he does get jealous sometimes...but not too bad. Anyway...so my mom came over Sunday and stayed until Friday late afternoon to help us out. It was so great to have her and I miss her for sure! This weekend was great because David was home...but tomorrow will be the first time I will be alone with the boys while David goes to work for a shft from 12:30pm to possibly 9:30pm...but he may be home earlier than that. Wish me luck! :)
Aedan is a sweet newborn and is healthy and loves to eat and sleeps pretty well...although he has had his days and nights mixed up. I know that's all part of it! At Aedan's one week checkup he had already gained all his birthweight back--yay!
We are so blessed and have had lots of love shown from family and friends for which I am so grateful!!
We are so in love with our boys!! :)
Aedan John Cox! :)
(FYI I left out the bloody naked baby pictures bc not everyone wants to see that...and I actually have some better pictures on my iPhone...but they are on Facebook...so I wanted to use these)

Here is the birth story...
The last 2 weeks of pregnancy I was having contractions like crazy, but none of it was progressing my labor at all. I wasn't even dilated...just nothin! Anyway, so the day of my scheduled c-section arrived (4/2) and David and I got to the hospital at about 11am and went to labor and delivery triage where they got me ready. I changed into a lovely hospital gown, they hooked me up to a fetal monitor, started an IV, etc, etc. Funny thing is I got the same nurse I had with Preston for my prep and recovery time. It was actually great because she remembered me and helped me talk to my OB about giving me something different for pain control in recovery since Morphine doesn't work for me. This time I got Demerol and a one time dose of Toradol. Made all the difference in the world! My OB came to see me about 12 noon and asked if I was feeling the contractions. I was feeling some...but not all of them. I was just used to having tons of contractions. Anyway, my doc checks me (thinking I could be in labor) but I am still not dilated or anything. So the c-section is officially on! The anesthesiologist came in to see me next and went over everything. According to David, when I had my c-section with Preston apparently I got really anxious (well, yeah!) and I do remember getting something to "calm me down". So David brought that to the attention of this doc and he mixed some Fentanyl in my IV solution before we even got started...and ya know, it really helped. Anyway, the anesthesiologist had to go start an epidural and then he would be back to do my case. Things were a little delayed, but we finally went back to the OR at about 1pm. This time the anesthesiologist had me sit on the side of the OR table hunched over and my nurse stood in front of me while he administered the spinal. This spinal was definately more uncomfortable than I remember with the first c-section. Or maybe I was expecting it to be so painful the first time that I hyped myself up and then it didn't seem as bad. But whatever...once it was done (in like a minute) I was quickly getting numb and it was all good. They helped me lay down on the table and then they continued prepping and put in the foley catheter and put the drape in front of my face to keep the field sterile. This time the anesthesiologist put in a nasal canula (clear tubing that goes into your nostrils to give me some oxygen) instead of a face mask that I had with Preston. I liked the canula better. David was then able to enter the OR and he was doing a great job to make sure I felt calm. :) Then apparently my blood pressure dropped to the 80's and so I got a dose of Neosynephrine and also my heartrate dropped to the 30's (!!!) for probably a minute or less. When that happened I felt really dizzy and it was not cool. My heart rate usually runs 50-60's. Ok, but that was over and the surgery got started. I just remember waiting for what seemed like a long while, but was probably only 10-15 minutes and then I felt a lot of pressure as they were pressing on me and getting the baby out...and then I heard the sweet sounds of Aedan crying!! I immediately felt a wave of emotion and had some tears well up and just had this overwhelming feeling of happiness. :) My OB's first words were..."Oh, Penni, I think he looks like you!" followed by, "What a chunk!". I got to see him for a few seconds and then they took him to the warmer to wipe him down, David cut the cord, and they got his weight and height, and then wrapped him up. Aedan was officially born on 4/2/10 at 1:26pm and was 7 lbs 14 ozs and 20 1/2 inches long with dark brown hair--and lots of it in the back. I was surprised! He was almost an entire pound heavier than Preston and 2 inches longer. David got to hold him and brought him over to me and we were just waiting for the team to finish sewing me up. Finally they were done and they transfered me over to a stretcher and they finally placed Aedan in my arms for the first time and wheeled us over to the recovery room. And again I tell you this recovery experience was soo much better than with Preston! I wasn't all drugged up on Morphine, but my pain was under control with the Demerol and Toradol and this spinal actually took longer to wear off thanks to a good dosing from the anesthesiologist. It was nice to not be all out of it!
Anyway, it was just David and I in the recovery room which actually turned out to be very nice and we got to spend at least an hour--probably longer--with Aedan before they took him to the nursery for his first in depth assessment and official bath. I was able to nurse him pretty much right away and he's done really well with breastfeeding so far! So I went in on Good Friday and had Aedan and we were able to leave the hospital by Sunday afternoon! That's fast for a c-section. I was ready to get out of there! Preston met Aedan for the first time on that Friday afternoon and was kinda unsure and sort of confused about me being in the hospital. He didn't really seem interested in Aedan and wanted to sit with me in the hospital bed. David's mom and grandma stayed with Preston at our house while we were in the hospital and that was so great of them! By the time we got home Sunday we were both missing Preston pretty bad, but had to give him time to warm up to all the change. By Monday morning Preston was smiling and pointing to Aedan and saying, "Baby!" and he even gave him kisses--it was so sweet! :) Preston is doing better than I thought with a new baby brother, but he does get jealous sometimes...but not too bad. Anyway...so my mom came over Sunday and stayed until Friday late afternoon to help us out. It was so great to have her and I miss her for sure! This weekend was great because David was home...but tomorrow will be the first time I will be alone with the boys while David goes to work for a shft from 12:30pm to possibly 9:30pm...but he may be home earlier than that. Wish me luck! :)
Aedan is a sweet newborn and is healthy and loves to eat and sleeps pretty well...although he has had his days and nights mixed up. I know that's all part of it! At Aedan's one week checkup he had already gained all his birthweight back--yay!
We are so blessed and have had lots of love shown from family and friends for which I am so grateful!!
We are so in love with our boys!! :)
5 comments:
awww.. I'm so happy for you gusy! Aedan is adorable! I can't wait to see more pictures of him as he gets bigger! Congras!
Congrats! I love his name and I agree, he does look like you. I'm glad everything went very uneventful this birth compared to Preston's. Take care. You'll do fine with two kids by yourself, but still GOOD LUCK!
It sounds like all in all you had a much better experience this time. I am so glad you and Aedan were able to leave the hospital earlier. I am sure Preston will be a great big brother. And Aedan definitely looks like you.
My little Ryann's ultrasound weight yesterday was 7lb 10oz. What your little Aedan was born out is basically what I am carrying around in just baby weight right now!!!
Congratulations on a sweet new boy! I'm glad everything went well.
Post a Comment